Monday, May 14, 2012

Formspring Question #411--Lack of Vision Edition

How bad is your vision, and how does it affect your ability to review shows?
I am completely blind in my right eye. The retina completely came off eighth years ago after several efforts to repair it. Other serious health issues tangentially related arose shortly thereafter, so that was, then and now, the end of any attempts to repait again. The result would have been negligible due to retinal damage. The little bugger has probably disintegrated by now from bouncing around my eye all this time.

My left eye has always been awful. It is 20/1000 normally, but is corrected to 20/800 with glasses and contacts. To make that easier to relate, what you see at 20 feet appears to be 800 feet away at best for me.

My poor vision does not really affect reviewing television shows. It has been eighth years. I have learned to adapt during that time. My computer has the widest screen I could find, the keyboard is high contrast, etc. The most fustrating issue is visiual acuity. Details are difficult to distinguish. But I am still at a point at which I can still comfortably follow what is going on my television and computer screen.

If there is any problem, it usually involves typos I do not catch proofreading or misidentifying a celebrity photo. Most of my readers overlook the former and are polite in pointing out the latter. If anyone is nasty about it, it is usually because either he or she does not know I have a visual impairment or dislikes my religious or political viewpoints and uses my mistakes to insult my intelligence . Because anyone who disagrees with them must be stupid, rightt?

No comments:

Post a Comment