Thursday, May 3, 2012

Newt Gingrich Officially Ends 2012 Bid

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich officially ended his 2012 presidential bid yesterday, thereby making Mitt Romney the all but official GOP nominee. Unless you still hold out the even more fanciful hope Ron Paul’s supporters can steal delegates. Lord help you if you do. Gingrich ends his hapless campaign $4 million in debt, so look for his endorsement of Romney to cost $4 million. It would be a drop in the bucket for Romney and/or the Republican National Committee to absorb Gingrich’s campaign debt, and Romney appears to have an odd affection for Gingrich. Go figure.

At the risk of ridicule, I admit I supported Gingrich in the South Carolina primary. He was the most palatable of the Not Romney choices, personal foibles and wild ideas included, which is a sad statement about the republican presidential field. I am not certain why no one has mentioned tjis, but there was a concerted effort by South Carolina Democrats to vote for Gingrich. Perhaps he would have won anyway, but not by such a large margin. My home state is notorious for dirty politics. I was a crossover primary voter in 2004 for Al Sharpton myself. I was a law student in Virginia at the time and voted by absentee ballot. The skeptic in me bets my vote was never counted. It is a neat anecdote to throw out there regardless. How many people have cast primary votes for both Pat Buchanan and Sharpton? I have to be a rare bird.

We now have six long months of class warfare, the race card, and attacks on religion at which to look forward. Barack Obama ate a dog. Ann Romney wore a $900 shirt. Those are just two of the petty issues the media has wasted our time with and neither Romney, nor Obama is even officially nominated yet. The only comment on the election I can make is this:
Mitt Romney is our guy for president, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment