Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Monkees' Davy Jones Dead at 66

Davy Jones has suffered a fatal heart attack at the age of 66.

Sixty-six? Even I feel old hearing his age.I was one of those kids who had never heard of the Monkees until MYV began airing all day marathons back in 1986 or so. The Fabricated four got a whole new generation of fans back then. Davy, Micky Dlenz, and Peter Tork seemed to appreciate their newfound popularity with the kids. Mike Nesmith came around when the Whiteout fortune dwindled and various lawsuits for copyright violations were not enough to recoup his sagging fortunes.

The Mnkees popularity came at that time when I was at the transition age when a kid starts appreciating music and girls more than toys and cartoons. Listening to the Monkees was using training wheels before I got into rock and country. That is no slight on the Monkees. I have fond memories of those days listening them. A couple of my favorite songs are "Daydream Believer” and “I Wanna be Free," both of which have Davy Jones on lead vocals:Godspeed, Mr. Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment